OOS Sculpture

William Henry Harrison Monument

1892 / Louis T. Rebisso / Cincinnati

Harrison photo1.jpeg

Portrait of William Henry Harrison dressed in military uniform and mounted on his horse. The horse is stepping forward and Harrison holds the reins. The horse's single raised leg indicates that its rider was wounded but not killed in battle.

The sculptor's signature can be found on the proper right side of the work, and the foundry's mark can be found on the proper left side.

The work was relocated from the east of the park to the west end during park renovations in 1988.

Location: Piatt Park, 100 Garfield Pl | Previous Location: East end of the park, at the corner of Vine St & Garfield Pl

County

: Hamilton

Citation

: Louis T. Rebisso, “William Henry Harrison Monument,” Ohio Outdoor Sculpture , accessed September 22, 2021, https://oos.sculpturecenter.org/items/show/578.

Title

William Henry Harrison Monument

Description

Portrait of William Henry Harrison dressed in military uniform and mounted on his horse. The horse is stepping forward and Harrison holds the reins. The horse's single raised leg indicates that its rider was wounded but not killed in battle.

The sculptor's signature can be found on the proper right side of the work, and the foundry's mark can be found on the proper left side.

The work was relocated from the east of the park to the west end during park renovations in 1988.

Date

1892

Source

Centner, R. & Farr, P. (2006). Cincinnati sculpture unveiled: The story behind the art. Little Miami Publishing Co.

Publisher

Ohio Outdoor Sculpture

Identifier

578

Location City

Location County

Location Previous

East end of the park, at the corner of Vine St & Garfield Pl

Location Notes

West end of the park, at the corner of Elm St & Garfield Pl
Moved during the 1988 renovations

Location Site

Location Street

100 Garfield Pl

Location Type

Media Base Depth

14 feet, 4 inches

Media Sculpture Height

12 feet

Media Sculpture Width

4 feet

Media Sculpture Depth

7 feet

Media Base Height

12 feet

Media Base Width

9 feet

Installation Date

1892

Materials

Date Relocated

1988