OOS Sculpture

Ames Academy Bell

1975 / A. Fulton / Amesville

20210314_161151 (2).jpg

This metal school bell hangs from a brick arch mounted atop a stone slab. The bell itself has "Cast by A. Fulton Pittsburgh" inscribed on one side. The local legend regarding the bell's origin is that it was being transported on a horse-drawn wagon from an Ohio River steamboat, and while going through Amesville, the wagon broke. The tale then goes on to say that the owner never returned to get it, so it somehow ended up at the newly-built Ames Academy.

The bell was installed at Ames Academy (sometimes referred to as Amesville Academy), which opened in 1852. It hung there until 1901 when it was transferred to the public school in the village. When a new elementary school was constructed in 1955, the decision was made to transfer ownership of the bell to the city. It's unclear where it was located between 1955 and 1975, when it was mounted in its current location in Gifford Park.

Location: Gifford Park, State St and Franklin St (OH Route 550) | Previous Location: Ames Academy

County

: Athens

Tags

: , ,

Citation

: A. Fulton, “Ames Academy Bell,” Ohio Outdoor Sculpture , accessed September 22, 2021, https://oos.sculpturecenter.org/items/show/1893.

Title

Ames Academy Bell

Description

This metal school bell hangs from a brick arch mounted atop a stone slab. The bell itself has "Cast by A. Fulton Pittsburgh" inscribed on one side. The local legend regarding the bell's origin is that it was being transported on a horse-drawn wagon from an Ohio River steamboat, and while going through Amesville, the wagon broke. The tale then goes on to say that the owner never returned to get it, so it somehow ended up at the newly-built Ames Academy.

The bell was installed at Ames Academy (sometimes referred to as Amesville Academy), which opened in 1852. It hung there until 1901 when it was transferred to the public school in the village. When a new elementary school was constructed in 1955, the decision was made to transfer ownership of the bell to the city. It's unclear where it was located between 1955 and 1975, when it was mounted in its current location in Gifford Park.

Creator

Date

1975

Subject

Source

https://www.athensnews.com/news/local/variety-s-the-spice-of-life-in-scenic-ames-twp/article_ac76f13e-7377-5f9a-b495-dbdc82f74496.html
https://www.hmdb.org/m.asp?m=15536

Publisher

Ohio Outdoor Sculpture

Type

Identifier

1893

Location City

Location County

Location Previous

Ames Academy

Location Site

Location Street

State St and Franklin St (OH Route 550)

Location Type

Installation Date

1975

Creation Date

circa 1850s

Materials

Inscription

"Ames Academy Bell : 1852 - 1955 [image of a book] Over a century its clear tone carried from valley to hill beckoning all to learn. Mounted - 1975"

Date Relocated

1955