OOS Sculpture

St. Angela Merici, Foundress of the Ursuline Sisters

1990 / Norman Poirier / Cleveland

Ursuline2.jpg

The statue is positioned as the focal point of the entryway into Ursuline College. St. Angela Merici established the Order of Saint Ursula (OSU - the initials that follow the names of all Ursuline Sisters) in 1535 for the purpose of educating young girls and women. It is a worldwide network of Catholic Sisters who maintain the charism of education to this day. Dedicated on October 18, 1990 honoring Herbert E. Strawbridge, former Ursuline College Board of Trustees Chair.

County

: Cuyahoga

Tags

:

Citation

: Norman Poirier, “St. Angela Merici, Foundress of the Ursuline Sisters,” Ohio Outdoor Sculpture , accessed December 9, 2021, https://oos.sculpturecenter.org/items/show/1702.

Title

St. Angela Merici, Foundress of the Ursuline Sisters

Description

The statue is positioned as the focal point of the entryway into Ursuline College. St. Angela Merici established the Order of Saint Ursula (OSU - the initials that follow the names of all Ursuline Sisters) in 1535 for the purpose of educating young girls and women. It is a worldwide network of Catholic Sisters who maintain the charism of education to this day. Dedicated on October 18, 1990 honoring Herbert E. Strawbridge, former Ursuline College Board of Trustees Chair.

Creator

Date

1990

Source

Bill Jirousek. Photos by Richard Konisiewicz.

Format

Location City

Location County

Location Notes

On Ursuline College campus, in front of the Monsignor Mullen Administration Building, 2550 Lander Road, Pepper Pike, Ohio 44124

Creation Date

1990