OOS Sculpture

Field of Corn

1994 / Malcolm Cochran / Dublin

00986 Field of Corn.jpg

Field of Corn (with Osage Orange Trees) is a concise example of one of Cochran's outdoor commissions. The site chosen for the piece by Dublin, OH was a large traffic island, cut off from neighborhood subdivisions by two roads. In researching the site, Cochran discovered that the land had been farmed fo 1800 years and had been owned by a leading corn hybridizer in the 1940s and '50s. To honor this endeavor, Cochran placed 109 concrete ears of corn, each approximately six feet high, into the ground in even rows. The resulting piece refers naturally to a cornfield, but closely resembles the identical white grave markers in Arlington National Cemetery. Cochran finished the piece by creating a row of text panels that explain the history of corn production and set them among Osage orange trees that existed as part of the site and were traditionally used as windbreaks and field dividers. From Malcolm Cochran [re] collection, 1999.

Location: Sam and Eulalia Frantz Park, 4995 Rings Rd

County

: Franklin

Tags

: ,

Citation

: Malcolm Cochran, “Field of Corn,” Ohio Outdoor Sculpture , accessed October 17, 2021, https://oos.sculpturecenter.org/index.php/items/show/986.

Title

Field of Corn

Description

Field of Corn (with Osage Orange Trees) is a concise example of one of Cochran's outdoor commissions. The site chosen for the piece by Dublin, OH was a large traffic island, cut off from neighborhood subdivisions by two roads. In researching the site, Cochran discovered that the land had been farmed fo 1800 years and had been owned by a leading corn hybridizer in the 1940s and '50s. To honor this endeavor, Cochran placed 109 concrete ears of corn, each approximately six feet high, into the ground in even rows. The resulting piece refers naturally to a cornfield, but closely resembles the identical white grave markers in Arlington National Cemetery. Cochran finished the piece by creating a row of text panels that explain the history of corn production and set them among Osage orange trees that existed as part of the site and were traditionally used as windbreaks and field dividers. From Malcolm Cochran [re] collection, 1999.

Creator

Date

1994

Subject

Publisher

Ohio Outdoor Sculpture

Identifier

986

Location City

Location County

Location Notes

Corners of Frantz and Rings Roads

Location Street

4995 Rings Rd

Location Type

Media Sculpture Height

circa 6 feet

Installation Date

1994-10-01

Creation Date

1994-10-01

Materials