OOS Sculpture

Perry Monument to Mark Cornerstone

1866 / Thomas Lawrence / Put-in-Bay

00984 old.jpg

This limestone base supports a bronze urn erected in 1866 to mark the cornerstone for a monument to Commodore O.H. Perry and his victory in the Battle of Lake Erie. The cornerstone was erected in 1858. The site was the private island of Gibralter owned by Jay Cooke, Lincoln's Civil War financier. Cooke commissioned and payed for the monument. The west face of the monument contains a plaque.

County

: Ottawa

Citation

: Thomas Lawrence, “Perry Monument to Mark Cornerstone,” Ohio Outdoor Sculpture , accessed September 23, 2021, https://oos.sculpturecenter.org/index.php/items/show/984.

Title

Perry Monument to Mark Cornerstone

Description

This limestone base supports a bronze urn erected in 1866 to mark the cornerstone for a monument to Commodore O.H. Perry and his victory in the Battle of Lake Erie. The cornerstone was erected in 1858. The site was the private island of Gibralter owned by Jay Cooke, Lincoln's Civil War financier. Cooke commissioned and payed for the monument. The west face of the monument contains a plaque.

Creator

Date

1866

Subject

Publisher

Ohio Outdoor Sculpture

Identifier

984

Location City

Location County

Provider Qualifier

Donated by

Provider Entity

Jay Cooke

Artist Notes

From Sandusky, Ohio

Media Sculpture Height

30 inches

Media Sculpture Width

40 inches

Media Base Height

76 inches

Media Base Width

70 inches

Installation Date

1866-04-01

Creation Date

1866-04-01

Materials