OOS Sculpture

Union Station Arch

1897 / Daniel Burnham / Columbus

Union Station Arch Front View

Arcitectural arch from the old Union Station in Columbus. Was one of a set of two arches that made up the entrance to Union Station. The southern arch (which functioned as the original entrance) was demolished in 1928 in order to widen the entrance for trucks. The rest of Union Station was demolished in October of 1976.

The arch was moved from its original location at North High Street to Arch Park at 100 W. Hickory Street in 1980 and moved again to its current location at the north end of McFerson Commons Park in the Arena District in 1999.

Location: McFerson Commons Park, 218 West St | Previous Location: Arch Park

County

: Franklin

Citation

: Daniel Burnham, “Union Station Arch,” Ohio Outdoor Sculpture , accessed December 3, 2021, https://oos.sculpturecenter.org/index.php/items/show/639.

Title

Union Station Arch

Description

Arcitectural arch from the old Union Station in Columbus. Was one of a set of two arches that made up the entrance to Union Station. The southern arch (which functioned as the original entrance) was demolished in 1928 in order to widen the entrance for trucks. The rest of Union Station was demolished in October of 1976.

The arch was moved from its original location at North High Street to Arch Park at 100 W. Hickory Street in 1980 and moved again to its current location at the north end of McFerson Commons Park in the Arena District in 1999.

Creator

Date

1897

Subject

Source

https://mcalho10.wixsite.com/union-station-arch

Identifier

639

Location City

Location County

Location Previous

Arch Park

Location Site

Location Street

218 West St

Location Type

Artist Notes

http://www.getty.edu/vow/ULANFullDisplay?find=burnham&role=&nation=&prev_page=1&subjectid=500019474

Media Sculpture Height

35 feet, 5 inches

Media Sculpture Width

46 feet

Installation Date

1999
1980

Materials