OOS Sculpture

Spirit of the Springs

Date Unknown / Creator Unknown / Columbus

Front View of Spirit of the Springs

A life-size bronze sculpture of a young woman wearing the uniform of Saint Mary of the Springs Academy with two doves seemingly flying from her uplifted hands. She stands on top of a 3 1/2 foot inscribed granite column.

Located in front of the Spangler Learning Center on the campus of Ohio Dominican University.

The Academy was founded by four members of the Dominicans in 1830 and was located on the site of Ohio Dominican University after a fire destroyed the original site in 1866.

Location: Ohio Dominican University, 1216 Sunbury Rd

County

: Franklin

Citation

: “Spirit of the Springs,” Ohio Outdoor Sculpture , accessed October 24, 2021, https://oos.sculpturecenter.org/index.php/items/show/2221.

Title

Spirit of the Springs

Description

A life-size bronze sculpture of a young woman wearing the uniform of Saint Mary of the Springs Academy with two doves seemingly flying from her uplifted hands. She stands on top of a 3 1/2 foot inscribed granite column.

Located in front of the Spangler Learning Center on the campus of Ohio Dominican University.

The Academy was founded by four members of the Dominicans in 1830 and was located on the site of Ohio Dominican University after a fire destroyed the original site in 1866.

Source

https://library.osu.edu/site/mhcb/2011/06/13/st-marys-of-the-springs/

Publisher

Ohio Outdoor Sculpture

Identifier

2221

Location City

Location County

Location Street

1216 Sunbury Rd

Materials

Inscription

Inscription on granite column: "SPIRIT OF THE SPRINGS / Honoring the history of Saint Mary of the Springs Academy / Founded 1830 / Flourished on this site 1868 - 1966 / Dedicated to the alumnae and the Dominican Sisters / In celebration of the spirit that they have carried into the world"