OOS Sculpture

Ripley Liberty Monument

1912 / Creator Unknown / Ripley

Ripley Liberty Monument.jpeg

This monument consists of four bronze plaques attached to a stone base. It was installed and dedicated in 1912 as part of Ripley's Centennial Celebration and was rededicated in 1962 as part of its Sesqui-Centennial Celebration. As indicated in the various inscriptions on the plaques, the monument honors "those who wrought for liberty" and celebrates Ripley's abolitionist roots. In 2021, the monument was named to the "Network to Freedom" list of the National Parks Service. The monument includes two memorial boxes buried at its base, one to be opened in 2065 and one in 2112.

Location: riverfront, Ripley, OH, corner of Main & Front Streets

County

: Brown

Citation

: “Ripley Liberty Monument,” Ohio Outdoor Sculpture , accessed December 6, 2021, https://oos.sculpturecenter.org/index.php/items/show/2063.

Title

Ripley Liberty Monument

Description

This monument consists of four bronze plaques attached to a stone base. It was installed and dedicated in 1912 as part of Ripley's Centennial Celebration and was rededicated in 1962 as part of its Sesqui-Centennial Celebration. As indicated in the various inscriptions on the plaques, the monument honors "those who wrought for liberty" and celebrates Ripley's abolitionist roots. In 2021, the monument was named to the "Network to Freedom" list of the National Parks Service. The monument includes two memorial boxes buried at its base, one to be opened in 2065 and one in 2112.

Date

1912

Source

Hicks, A. (1962, August 23). "Town monument rededication address." The Ripley Bee. Pp. 7.

Publisher

Ohio Outdoor Sculpture

Identifier

2063

Location City

Location County

Provider Qualifier

gift of

Provider Entity

Frank Gregg

Location Site

Location Street

corner of Main & Front Streets

Location Type

Installation Date

1912

Materials