OOS Sculpture

First Harding High School Ornamental Stone

1915 / Creator Unknown / Marion

Front View Ornamental Stone First Harding High School

The ornamental keystone from the original Harding High School in Marion, Ohio that shows an open book on a shield surrounded by a decorative frame.

The high school, located at 240 W. Church Street, was built in 1915 and razed in 1996 to make way for the new high school building. The keystone was installed in its present location in front of the Marion County Historical Society by Quality Masonry Co, Inc. of Marion Ohio.

Location: Marion County Historical Society, 169 E Church St | Previous Location: 240 W Church Street

County

: Marion

Tags

:

Citation

: “First Harding High School Ornamental Stone,” Ohio Outdoor Sculpture , accessed August 3, 2021, https://oos.sculpturecenter.org/index.php/items/show/1866.

Title

First Harding High School Ornamental Stone

Description

The ornamental keystone from the original Harding High School in Marion, Ohio that shows an open book on a shield surrounded by a decorative frame.

The high school, located at 240 W. Church Street, was built in 1915 and razed in 1996 to make way for the new high school building. The keystone was installed in its present location in front of the Marion County Historical Society by Quality Masonry Co, Inc. of Marion Ohio.

Date

1915

Source

plaque and conversation with Marion County Historical Society

Identifier

1866

Location City

Location County

Location Previous

240 W Church Street

Provider Qualifier

Sponsored by

Provider Entity

Peg and Merle Hamilton

Location Street

169 E Church St

Location Type

Installation Date

1996

Creation Date

1915

Materials

Inscription

plaque: "Ornamental Stone from the First Harding High School / 240 West Church Street / Built 1915 / Razed 1996"
inscription on back: "A.D. 1915"

Date Relocated

circa 1996