OOS Sculpture

Bellefontaine Airport Pylon

1948 / Creator Unknown / Bellefontaine

Bellefontaine Airport Pylon View 1

Concrete abstract sculpture of vertical airplane wings in a fanned position that is a scaled model of the Wright Brothers Memorial Pylon at Kitty Hawk. Erected by the Bellefontain Air Squadron #2 in 1948.

Moved to it's current location in 2002. The sculpture has 3 bronze plaques: one on the south-facing side, one on the west-facing side, and one on the east-facing side.

Location: Bellefontaine Regional Airport, 3100 OH-47 | Previous Location: Tanger's Airport, Bellefontaine Municipal Airport

County

: Logan

Tags

: ,

Citation

: “Bellefontaine Airport Pylon,” Ohio Outdoor Sculpture , accessed May 7, 2021, https://oos.sculpturecenter.org/index.php/items/show/1749.

Dublin Core

Title

Bellefontaine Airport Pylon

Description

Concrete abstract sculpture of vertical airplane wings in a fanned position that is a scaled model of the Wright Brothers Memorial Pylon at Kitty Hawk. Erected by the Bellefontain Air Squadron #2 in 1948.

Moved to it's current location in 2002. The sculpture has 3 bronze plaques: one on the south-facing side, one on the west-facing side, and one on the east-facing side.

Date

1948

Source

Historical Marker Database: https://www.hmdb.org/m.asp?m=76555

Contributor

Identifier

1749

Sculpture Item Type Metadata

Location City

Location County

Location Previous

Tanger's Airport
Bellefontaine Municipal Airport

Provider Qualifier

Dedicated by

Provider Entity

Bellefontaine Air Squadron No. 2

Location Street

3100 OH-47

Media Sculpture Height

8 feet, 4 inches

Media Sculpture Width

4 feet, 6 inches

Media Sculpture Depth

28 inches

Installation Date

2002

Creation Date

1948

Materials

Inscription

South-facing side plaque: "Pylon dedicated by Bellefontaine Air Squadron No. 2 August 1, 1948 on the 36th anniversary of first airplane flight made from this field"
West-facing side plaque: "In recognition of Lawrence E. Rausenberger pioneer designer and builder of aircraft engines first flight off this field Aug. 1, 1912"
East-facing side plaque: "In recognition of Clarence H. Wissler pioneer designer and builder of airplanes since 1909"

Date Relocated

1962
2002