"Point of Beginning" Monument
1881 / Creator Unknown / East Liverpool
The "Point of Beginning" monument commemorates the beginning point of the U.S. Public Land Survey. It is a short obelisk in the middle of a concrete compass rose. It is inscribed "Erected in 1881 by a joint commission appointed by the states of Pennsylvania and Ohio to re-survey, and re-mark the boundary line as established in 1786." In 1960 it was moved 1,112 feet north of the original beginning point to higher ground. It is currently maintained by the East Liverpool Historical Society. They have provided information on the monument here.