Memorial to the Great Hunger
2000 / Paula Blackman / Cleveland
The sculpture is a vertical rectanglar piece of very light grey granite, almost white in color. One side is a celtic cross carved into the stone. The other side facing the river is an inscription and a relief of 3 figures cast in bronze mounted onto the stone. The patina is a warm brown color, a liver of sulpher base with ferric nitrate over. Bronze Relief: A woman and two children, a sailing ship at the bottom right corner depicts the boats known as the famine ships. The figures are titled ""Bridget O'Donnell and her Children."" The image is an interpretation of a sketch in the ILLUSTRATED LONDON TIMES in 1849. The figures have since become a symbol for all who suffered in the potato famine. A time capsule is at the site to be opened in 2050 by a designated group who were children at the time of the dedication.