OOS Sculpture

Astrolabe Rotunda

1996 / Alvin Sher & Jonathan Quick / Delaware

Astrolabe Rotunda West Side

A stainless steel sculpture depicting an astrolabe, a device used by ancient Egyptians and Greeks in timetelling and navigation, atop a rotunda featuring the 12 astrological symbols of the year and the four compass points.

The latitude of central Ohio was used to determine the angle of the axis of the astrolabe. The shadows from the central gnomon are cast on the dial marks of the outer ring.

Designed by New York artist Alvin Scher, the sculpture was originally constructed by OWU assistant professor of fine arts Jonathan Quick for a temporary exhibit on the JAYwalk part of Ohio Wesleyan's campus in 1996 before being moved to a public Plaza in New York in the spring of 1997.

The sculpture at some point returned to the OWU campus and was eventually installed in 2005 in front of the newly renovated Science Center as a gift from the Class of 2003.

Location: Ohio Wesleyan University, 90 S Henry St | Previous Location: Jaywalk area of OWU campus (1996-1997)

County

: Delaware

Citation

: Alvin Sher and Jonathan Quick, “Astrolabe Rotunda,” Ohio Outdoor Sculpture , accessed October 20, 2021, http://oos.sculpturecenter.org/index.php/items/show/1906.

Title

Astrolabe Rotunda

Description

A stainless steel sculpture depicting an astrolabe, a device used by ancient Egyptians and Greeks in timetelling and navigation, atop a rotunda featuring the 12 astrological symbols of the year and the four compass points.

The latitude of central Ohio was used to determine the angle of the axis of the astrolabe. The shadows from the central gnomon are cast on the dial marks of the outer ring.

Designed by New York artist Alvin Scher, the sculpture was originally constructed by OWU assistant professor of fine arts Jonathan Quick for a temporary exhibit on the JAYwalk part of Ohio Wesleyan's campus in 1996 before being moved to a public Plaza in New York in the spring of 1997.

The sculpture at some point returned to the OWU campus and was eventually installed in 2005 in front of the newly renovated Science Center as a gift from the Class of 2003.

Date

1996

Source

Fall 1996 OWU Magazine article
Ohio Wesleyan University Libraries

Identifier

1906

Location City

Location County

Location Previous

Jaywalk area of OWU campus (1996-1997)

Location Notes

Was moved off campus in spring of 1997 and returned sometime before 2005. It might have been installed in another location upon its return before being moved to the grounds in front of the Science Center.

Provider Qualifier

Gift from

Provider Entity

Class 2003

Location Site

Location Street

90 S Henry St

Artist Notes

https://www.sculptorsguild.org/alvin-sher

Media Sculpture Height

12 feet

Installation Date

2005

Creation Date

1996

Materials

Date Relocated

1997
2005