OOS Sculpture

"Point of Beginning" Monument

1881 / Creator Unknown / East Liverpool

EastLiverpool_BeginningPoint_StreetView.png

The "Point of Beginning" monument commemorates the beginning point of the U.S. Public Land Survey. It is a short obelisk in the middle of a concrete compass rose. It is inscribed "Erected in 1881 by a joint commission appointed by the states of Pennsylvania and Ohio to re-survey, and re-mark the boundary line as established in 1786." In 1960 it was moved 1,112 feet north of the original beginning point to higher ground. It is currently maintained by the East Liverpool Historical Society. They have provided information on the monument here.

Location: Ohio State Route 39

County

: Columbiana

Citation

: “"Point of Beginning" Monument,” Ohio Outdoor Sculpture , accessed August 7, 2020, http://oos.sculpturecenter.org/index.php/items/show/1637.

Dublin Core

Title

"Point of Beginning" Monument

Description

The "Point of Beginning" monument commemorates the beginning point of the U.S. Public Land Survey. It is a short obelisk in the middle of a concrete compass rose. It is inscribed "Erected in 1881 by a joint commission appointed by the states of Pennsylvania and Ohio to re-survey, and re-mark the boundary line as established in 1786." In 1960 it was moved 1,112 feet north of the original beginning point to higher ground. It is currently maintained by the East Liverpool Historical Society. They have provided information on the monument here.

Date

1881

Sculpture Item Type Metadata

Location City

Location County

Location Street

Ohio State Route 39

Installation Date

1881